The Nuremberg City Archive, the Museum of the Tucher Palace, and the German National Museum keep and display the extensive archive of the Tucher family and the family’s artworks on loan from the Tucher Cultural Foundation. In the former Imperial City of Nuremberg, the Tucher family has played a significant role since the fourteenth century. Both of the main lines of the family are active today. The older line tracing their family tree back to Han II (died 1449), and the younger line tracing back to Endres I (died 1440).

A Collection tells Stories

Both lines of the family have individual archives, in addition to the archive for the family as a whole. This allows the history of the Tuchers to be traced almost completely.

Of particular note are the manuscripts relating to the history of the family, especially documents relating to the pilgrimages of Hans VI (died 1491), and to the genealogy of the family, which make up a precursor to the Great Book of the Tuchers. This illuminated work, which forms the centerpiece of the archival collections, and which is the most valuable cultural holding of the Tucher family, is held on loan by the Nuremberg City Archive.  

Among the newest loans to the City Archive are the archives of the Leitheim branch of the younger line of the family, including a large collection of letters from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, and the collection of photographic portraits from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.

The inventory of the museum of the Tucher Palace, which is run by the museums of the city of Nuremberg in the former stately home of the family, forms the heart of the collections. Every genre of art and of handicraft from the fifteenth to the nineteenth centuries are represented in the furnishings and collections of the aristocratic household, but a few examples which are closely related to the history of the family, stand out.

The likeness of the Jerusalem pilgrim Hans Tucher VI (1428-1491) from the workshop of Michael Wolgemuts, and the two-part portrait of a married couple by Hans Schäufelein are representative of the extensive collection of portraits of the Tuchers.

In the area of handicrafts, the works of Wenzel Jamnitzer are of particular note: a double chalice, which was a wedding present from Linhart Tucher (1487-1568) to his son Herdegen IV in 1564, as well as an eight-piece dinner service created in 1553-1562, the so-called “Limoges-Service,” which is considered to be unique in its genre.